Responsible for managing the general accounting function. Oversees the completion of ledger accounts and financial transactions, as well as, supervise accounting staff with direct report to the Chief Financial Officer. Responsibilities also include analyzing trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses. Evaluates and makes appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes ensuring that practices are in line with the overall goals of the organization. Reports organization's finances to management, and offers suggestions about resource utilization, assumptions underlying budget forecasts, innovations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage the accuracy, productivity and personnel associated with the day to day activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, monetary disbursements, invoicing/billing, payroll, fixed asset records, general ledger.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate accounting department staff.
• Maintain a system of internal controls and segregation of duties within the accounting department.
• Interact and manage relationships with outside audit firms, banks and tax prepares.
Finance and Accounting:
• Coordinate month-end and year-end close processes, including schedule preparation and accounts analysis to ensure timely financial reporting.
• Review monthly bank reconciliations.
• Monitor bank balances and daily bank account activity; manage cash flow.
• Coordinate the requests of information to external auditors for annual audit and taxes
• Compare monthly actuals to budget and report significant variances to CFO.
• Review contract requirement reporting.
• Prepare special reports for UNHCR.
• Prepare weekly and monthly financial reporting to CFO.
The Controller is a supervisory role.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with accounting concentration.
• Seven to ten years of accounting and financial reporting.
• Proficient with MS office software (Excel, Word).
• Intacct experience is highly desirable.
• CPA or CPA candidate.
• Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills.
• Superb attention to details.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Supervisory experience
• High level of energy and conviction to operate in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (5-10 lb.); minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard. • Manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and composing of documents
• Tasks require:
o Sound perception and discrimination
o Visual perception and discrimination
o Oral communications ability
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in an environment that is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock. There is occasional exposure to high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
About US Association for UNHCR
Vision ~ USA for UNHCR envisions a world without refugees.
Mission ~ USA for UNHCR protects refugees and empowers them with hope and opportunity. We are with refugees from their greatest time of need - from emergency or crisis and beyond through the months and likely years that many are displaced from their home countries. We give refugees the hope they deserve, restore their dignity and help them rebuild their lives.